Cardinal Community Academy uses the highly successful Core Knowledge Sequence as our base curriculum. Core Knowledge is a detailed outline of specific content to be taught in language arts, history, geography, mathematics, science and the fine arts. As the core of our curriculum, it provides a solid, coherent foundation of learning, while allowing flexibility to meet local needs.
The specific content in the Core Knowledge Sequence provides a solid foundation on which to build skills instruction. Moreover, because the Sequence offers a coherent plan that builds year by year, it helps prevent the many repetitions and gaps in instruction that can result from vague curricular guidelines. Core Knowledge is a challenging and rigorous curriculum, designed to encourage steady academic progress as children build their knowledge and skills from one year to the next.
CCA has implemented the following specific programs to support the Core Knowledge Sequence and meet the standards as set by the state of Colorado:
- Core Knowledge Language Arts Program (CKLA) – Literacy instruction for grades K – 5. The Listening and Learning Strand and Skills Strand of this program support the Core Knowledge Sequence.
- Zaner-Bloser Spelling – spelling instruction for grades 4 – 8
- Singapore Math – math instruction for grades K-5
- Shurley English – grammar and writing instruction for grades 6 – 8
- Big Ideas Math – math instruction for grades 6 – 8
8 Keys of Excellence
The 8 Keys of Excellence character education program guides young people toward a positive future full of confidence, motivation, creativity, team work, leadership and valuable life principles. To view more about this program visit www.8keys.org.